Sunday 22 May 2011

Stage 6: 105 km's Biarritz to Oloron.



Sat 21 May:  Back on the road again for stage 6 today. In rides like this and tour racing, a rest day is a good day to have naturally...but in some ways it may not be as well. The routine of the daily riding and legs turning over and used to the effort keeps things physically and mentally moving well and sometimes 'getting going again' after a day off the bike can take some riding to do. Fortunately we had a pleasent 105 km's to ride today from Biarritz heading slightly north east through rolling green french countryside and small towns to a lovely town called Oloron that is within view of what awaits us for this coming week - a week of quite different riding terrain in the famous Pyrenees mountains. Starting tomorrow Sunday! We passed this (pic above) small french residence under refurb today and I managed to get this other pic of our group passing through yet another village en route to Oloron. We had a leisurely start today at 10.15am to avoid the Biarritz traffic and got to the hotel around 3pm in Oloron and had time for a walk downtown to get some late lunch at a local cafe and check out a couple of stores. A local bakery included. 
Tomorrows stage is also 105km's from here in Oloron  to Lourdes. But it includes us climbing the famous Col d' Aubisque (1710m) and Col du Soulor mountain climbs - well known to the Tour de France. In Lourdes I might be ready to drink some famous water and take some help from above I think ! Hope you are all enjoying my mutterings on this blog on this little adventure and if you'd like to drop me a line, you can email me at my work email address as my email is pushed down to my phone as well.         

No comments:

Post a Comment